2013-14 EVJ GIRLS' VOLLEYBALL TRYOUT INFORMATION
10-14'S Age Group - Saturday November 16th
15-18's Age Group - Saturday November 23rd
PRE-REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN | Tryout Registration/Checklist
AZ Region Policy | EVJ Important Facts & Suggestions | Tryout Schedule | Age Cutoff | Tryout Process | Tryout Q&A | Tryout Checklist | Tryout Location | Program Information & Fees | Register Now
2013-14 AZ REGION OF USA VOLLEYBALL TRYOUT POLICY
Open House Period - Prior to Girl's Tryouts - (EVJ's "Open House Period" Schedule Coming Soon)
- With many club options, the Region has established an "Open House Period" prior to tryouts to allow families an opportunity to become educated about different clubs.
- The Open House Period will begin 10 days before the established tryout start date.
- A club may offer no more than 3 separate sessions lasting no longer than 2 hours for each age group during the 10 day period.
- Clubs may offer an open house or open gym type setting to evaluate players skills and physical abilities to let them know how they might fit into their club.
The AZ Region prohibits the following before a club's tryout session:
- Before Tryouts...
- A club MAY NOT offer (written, verbal or implied) a player a position on a team in their club.
- A club MAY NOT take any commitment fees or down payments to hold a spot on a team.
- A club MAY NOT require you to attend more than one of their Open House Sessions.
- A club MAY NOT require or allow any player to commit to their club until after the completion of the TRYOUT session.
- A club MAY NOT hold tryouts until on or after the established tryout dates:
- The established tryout date for the 12’s – 14’s is the first Saturday following the last state HS Championship match – this year that date is Nov 16th.
- The established tryout date for the 15’s – 18’s is the second Saturday following the last state HS Championship match – this year that date is Nov 23rd.
The AZ Region allows the following after a club's tryout session:
- After Tryouts...
- A club may ask for a commitment immediately following the tryout session.
- The AZ Region considers a player committed to the club for the season upon acceptance of the club offer by the player followed by payment of commitment/initial fees to the club.
- Once a player has committed to a club they are no longer eligible to tryout or practice with another club until the end of Junior Nationals in July 2014 or until being granted a release by the club. Please understand that a club is NOT obligated to give a player a release even if they are paid in full.
Here is a link to the complete Arizona Regions Tryout Policy.
EVJ OFFERS THE FOLLOWING IMPORTANT FACTS AND SUGGESTIONS TO CONSIDER WHEN TRYING OUT FOR A CLUB
- DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Most clubs hold summer, fall and pre-tryout camps, clinics and open gyms. Attend the ones for the clubs you are considering and get to know the coaches and administration. Biographies are typically posted on the websites of the established clubs.
- DO NOT feel pressured by clubs "requiring" you to "commit now" (BEFORE TRYOUTS) in order to get a guaranteed spot. This practice is actually contrary to the Arizona Region of USA Volleyball policy and sanctions may be applied to the club and player.
- Contact the Club Director. Understand the Club's Philosophy, History and Mission to ensure the Club is a strong cultural fit for you and your daughter. There are many options and the strongest programs field the strongest coaches. Club Directors should offer references upon request.
- Remember, if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. VERIFY THE FACTS.
- In the past there was a perceived 72-Hour rule where a committed player had the option to change her mind and break her contract. This provision is not valid; you do NOT have 72-hours to reconsider once you have signed a contract with a club, make sure you are 100% committed when making your choice.
- As within years past, once you sign, all commitments are binding for the upcoming club season.
- Most established Clubs post their fees or provide them upon request. Be aware, if you are considering a travel team, some Clubs DO NOT include/disclose their travel fees or additional post season fees up front. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples when comparing club fees, length of season, number of practices, number of tournaments, etc. An itemized list of what you are paying for should be expected.
- At EVJ, we pride ourselves on disclosing your entire cost for the season up front. If you are playing on a team that is committed to post season but must earn a bid to play, the additional cost will be approximated but not due until the team qualifies. If you decide to play on a team where post season play is optional; the cost to play post season will be computed at the time the team opts in and will be communicated to you for team approval before a commitment is made to play and the non-refundable tournament fees are paid.
- At EVJ, for travel teams, we handle all travel accommodations, including air and ground transportation, lodging and supervision. A certified chaperone accompanies each travel team to ensure: their safety; the players are rested, hydrated and fed for game time; and make downtime arrangements for the players to have some fun.
EVJ VOLLEYBALL TRYOUT SCHEDULE
Ages 13-14 - Day One (7th-8th Grade)
- November 16th, 2013 (Saturday)
- Check-In/Registration - 7:45am
- Tryout Period - 8:30am (approximately 3-hours)
Ages 10-12 - Day One (4th-6th Grade)
- November 16th, 2013 (Saturday)
- Check-In/Registration - 12:30pm
- Tryout Period - 1:15pm (approximately 2-3 hours)
Ages 15-18 (9th-12th Grade)
- Day One - November 23rd, 2013 (Saturday)
- Check-In/Registration - 7:45am
- Tryout Period - 8:30am (approximately 3-hours)
AGE CUTOFF FOR 2013-14 CLUB SEASON
Age Cutoff for 15-18's age group
- U18 (9/1/95-8/31/96)
- U17 (9/1/96-8/31/97)
- U16 (9/1/97-8/31/98)
- U15 (9/1/98-8/31/99)
Age Cutoff for 10-14's age group
- U14 (9/1/99-8/31/00)
- U13 (9/1/00-8/31/01)
- U12 (9/1/01-8/31/02)
- U11 (9/1/02-8/31/03)
- U10 (9/1/03-8/31/04)
EVJ VOLLEYBALL 2013-14 TRYOUT PROCESS
- EVJ intends to offer and sign the majority of its players on the first day of tryouts.
- As in the past years, due to the number of roster spots being filled, certain team rosters will need to be finalized for optimal placement on Day Two of tryouts.
- We will evaluate new attendees on Day Two for open roster spots only or for a waiting list, once you accept a roster spot it is yours.
- We will do our best to be fair to each player and communicate what is happening during the tryout process. If you are asked to come back on Day Two we will explain why before you leave the gym.
- We will post open positions on our website after tryouts for those still looking for a club team opportunity.
- A one-time tryout fee of $25 is required, this includes a tryout t-shirt.
EVJ VOLLEYBALL TRYOUT Q&A
- Do I need volleyball experience to try out for the club?
- You do not need volleyball experience to try out for the club (especially at the younger ages), but it definitely helps. Athletic ability and height are a plus.
- What is the tryout procedure?
- The athlete will warm-up and the coaches will evaluate the various volleyball skills for each participant: serving, passing, setting, and hitting.
- Depending on the age group, some physical and coordination drills will also be completed.
- The athletes will be put into scrimmage-type situations with other girls to demonstrate their game talents.
- EVJ Volleyball believes in the worth of open tryouts. That is, each athlete must earn her spot on the team at that day's tryout.
- EVJ Volleyball does not pick the teams beforehand and then provide a mock tryout. Each athlete has a chance to make the best team she can.
- What are the tryout fees for?
- Tryout fee will be $25 for 2013-14. Tryout fees are non-refundable. They are collected to cover facility fees and administrative costs associated with tryouts. The fee is a one-time tryout fee that will include the tryout t-shirt.
- Are parents/guardians required to attend tryouts?
- Yes. At least one parent must be at the tryouts at the beginning for registration/check-in purposes and to attend a brief meeting that will be held prior to tryouts starting.
- We will also need at least one parent there at the end of the tryout to complete the team selection process.
- Parents need not be present the entire tryout process. Due to the number of tryout participants and gym space available, parents are not permitted to stay in the gym once the tryouts begin. While the tryout might be scheduled to end at a certain time, additional time may be needed to finalize the commitment process. We will work as efficiently as possible and work our hardest to make sure the lines of communication are open and optimal placements are made. We may ask you to return the next day to complete the placement process.
- What do I need to do to register for tryouts?
- We strongly recommend you PRE-REGISTER/REGISTER by completing the following process prior to attending tryouts. COMPLETE on-line tryout registration even if you don't have time to mail it in before tryouts. Follow the Tryout Checklist below to complete your registration.
- If the athlete makes the team, what are the next steps?
- A player offered a position must sign a commitment (EVJ Club Participation Agreement) and must pay her NON-REFUNDABLE commitment fee (Cash or Check) to guarantee her spot.
- If a player is new to the AZ Region this year, a copy of the Player's birth certificate will also be required. The BC will be submitted to the Region by the club.
- Please note that you are committing to an entire season. Participation in the club requires commitment to the entire club season and the entire season's fees. Players are permitted to commit and play for one club/team in a given club season per the AZ Region of USA Volleyball. A club season is defined as ending at the end of the USAV Nationals Tournament in early July 2014. The commitment fee will be applied to the total season fees.
EVJ VOLLEYBALL TRYOUT CHECKLIST
- ON-LINE REGISTRATION FOR EVJ GIRLS' TRYOUTS
PRE-REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN Click for Girls Tryout Registration Form
- COMPLETE A USAV MEDICAL RELEASE FORM
- COMPLETE THE CONCUSSION ACKNOWLEDGEMENT FORM
- PROVIDE PROOF OF USAV JUNIOR MEMBERSHIP
Everyone needs to register for the 2013-2014 season as a USAV member.
You must go on the WEBPOINT REGISTRATION SITE and renew your registration or register for the first time. There is a $25 fee paid directly to the region. Include a copy of the receipt with your tryout registration forms.
- PROVIDE A PHOTOCOPY OF YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE
If it is your first time playing in the Arizona Region, you must provide a copy of your birth certificate.
- $25 TRYOUT FEE ($35 if not registered on-line by 4PM November 15th for 14U; or by 4PM November 22nd for 18U)
Payable in cash or check only. Please make all checks payable to EVJ Volleyball.
- Please wear standard activity clothing such as a t-shirt, gym shorts, athletic shoes and socks, and kneepads. Also bring a water bottle for water breaks. Each participant will receive an EVJ tryout t-shirt to be worn while in attendance at an EVJ tryout.
EVJ VOLLEYBALL TRYOUT LOCATION
ALL TRYOUTS WILL BE HELD AT THE COURT ONE FACILITY IN TEMPE. THE FACILITY IS LOCATED AT 9100 SOUTH MCKEMY STREET, TEMPE, AZ, 85284. CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR DIRECTIONS.
Directions to Court One
EVJ VOLLEYBALL PROGRAM INFORMATION & FEES
Information Sheets/Fee Schedules can be found below the following list of anticipated 2013-14 teams.
High School (Pre-Collegiate Prep) Program
- 15-17’s Travel
- 17 Navy (Modified Travel)
- 16 Mizuno
- 16 Navy
- 15 Mizuno
- 15 Navy
- 15-17’s Non-Travel
Middle School (High School Prep) Program
- 13-14’s Travel
- 14 Mizuno
- 14 Navy
- 13 Mizuno
- 13 Navy
- 13-14’s Non-Travel
- 14 White
- 14 Silver
- 13 White
- 13 Silver
Youth Development Program
- 12’s Non-Travel
- 12 Mizuno
- 12 Navy
- 12 White
- 12 Silver
- 11 Mizuno
- 11 Navy
- 10 Mizuno
Information Sheets/Fee Schedules:
Everyone will be given an Information Sheet (includes Fee Schedule) and a Parent/Player Handbook for review on tryout day.